Monday, May 7, 2007

My lean, mean working machine!

Much has happened in the week gone by. Italy has won the world cup, Federer has once again proclaimed territory at SW 19, my PC has had a makeover and I have formulated plans on how to wrest a master’s degree in English literature from JU without much effort or attendance. Talking of my PC, it has been totally revamped. It is now the proud owner of a new processor, more memory, a sleek black cabinet and a cool black-grey keyboard with multimedia keys. The wonder of it all; the evolution of a drab piece of electronic junk into a lean, mean working machine was as astounding as that of the fairytale frog into prince charming..Ofcourse, after I saw what prince charming actually looks like, in shrek 2, it doesn’t seem much of a transition, really…Anyway, the white monitor and ups do look a bit nondescript before these new guys but I like it better this way. The dual tones of black and white seems to me to be quite a strong comment on the issue of racial equality and the urgent need for disparate sections of humanity to unite into a merging whole…also, ofcourse I like it better now because..um…black or white,it finally works!I’m, generally speaking, not very adept at handling modern technology. I can mend the iron (yes I can) but the object which I speak of can by no stretch of imagination be called modern. I mean, there are irons and there are irons. This is neither. It’s a piece of devilish intent and malicious design, picked up by my dad, which doesn’t believe in the concept called work. The day it does work, is a day of celebration. There is only one piece of antiquity which rivals this contraption and that is a tape-recorder. Last heard of, it was blaring its way into damnation, by torturing poor souls at my brother’s college hostel. Since then, there has been no news…But to come back to what I was saying. Technology and I don’t go together. I mean, take this PC of mine. It has broken down atleast six times in the past year and I’m not talking of a computer’s equivalent of minor colds when I say this. I mean proper breakdowns, which takes weeks to get it back in line. Then,… there’s lifts. Nothing much about them except that I don’t like them. My college lift has a habit of staying invitingly still when you don’t need it, and immediately moving up or down when you walk towards it. If you are lucky enough to get in, it will invariably move in the direction opposite to the one you want it to go. So if you want to go from the second to the ground floor, it will first take you up to the fifth and then all the way to the ground floor….. And don’t even get me talking about my mobile. It switches off in the middle of a conversation. Whenever, wherever. A mind of its own. And now it’s taught my mum’s mobile to do the same. Aargh!So now that I have finally got atleast one of these - my PC - working , you can excuse my gushing about it. After all, it’s not everyday that one has cause for such celebration.

2 comments:

Deepika said...

That's so true about college lifts.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.